Winged eyeliner is a trend that is here to stay. From a subtle wing to a dramatic angle, we have it all detailed and decoded for you to master.
Let’s just all agree that nothing elevates your eye make up game like a perfectly drawn dramatic winged eye-liner. It looks super hot and complements almost every kind of look. With winged liner being the hottest trend you cannot let your clients away from this super trending style. Follow our step by step tutorial to create cat-eyes and wings for your clients that are sharp enough to kill.
How To Create Winged Eyeliner With Angled Eyeliner Brush?
This one has been specially designed to help you with your winged eyeliner woes. Honestly speaking, it does not get any easier than this. You can also wet the brush slightly for a super neat result
Step By Step Tutorial
• Dip the angle brush in your eyeliner pot and place it on the outer edge of your client’s eye creating an angle with her temples
• Place the same brush over the line you just drew in an inverted fashion to create the upper curve of your wing
• Fill in the blank space between the lines with your eyeliner brush and extend the liner to the inner corner as you normally do.
Free Hand Guide
Yes, it needs some practice and a steady hand, but with a little patience and proper method, it is absolutely achievable to apply perfect and neat winged eye-liners every single time for every single client..
1. Take a pencil eyeliner and draw an extended line on the outer edge of your client’s eyes making an angle with her eyebrows. Adjust the length according to your desired length of the wing.
2. Now, place the pencil where this line ends and draw a line that flicks inward with a slight curve and extend the line to the inner corner of your client’s eye. If you find it difficult to extend the same line in on one go, extend it at least halfway into your client’s upper lash line and then continue till the inner corner. Try to make sure that the line thins gradually, especially if your client has smaller eyes.
3. Now, fill up the gap until no skin peeps through from between the upper and the bottom line that forms the wing.
4. If you are ok with a softer finish, leave it as it is. But if you or your client wants the wings to be more striking and bold, take a liquid eyeliner and carefully trace along the lines you have created with your pencil eyeliner. Also, if you are planning to include this step, you can allow your lines to be a little rough on the edge while using the pencil eyeliner. The liquid eyeliner will cover up the rough edges to give a perfectly smooth finish.
5. Quick Note: When applying eyeliner with a free hand, make sure to rest your elbows on a flat and steady surface or the client’s shoulder. If that isn’t possible, make sure the client is sitting steady and wont move, bending the head on a headrest would be useful here. This will give a good amount of control over your hand movements.
6. If this guide doesn’t do the job for you, then you probably require some additional help to master those killer wings. Fret not. Your solution lies in everyday items like spoon, scotch tapes or brushes specifically meant for the purpose.
7. Check out the following hacks and find out how you can create dramatic winged eyeliner with the right items.
How To Do Winged Eyeliner With Tape / shadow sheild?
Apart from regularly fixing your torn paraphernalia, your scotch tape or good old cellophane is also capable of helping you to draw perfect winged eyeliners. Although, we highly recommend you to use a eye shadow shield which is specifically designed for use on the face and tested accordingly too. The glue agent in tapes can be reactive and peeling in some cases, as the skin around the eyes is sensitive and delicate.
Step By Step Tutorial
1. Cut a tape measuring about 2 cm and stick along the outer edge of your client’s eyes in an angle you would want your wings to be. Peel off the sticking side from a shadow shield, and stick it under the eye in the angle desired for the winged liner.
2. Trace along the angled edge with your eyeliner to draw the wing using the outlines of the tape as guidance or the edge of the shadow shield as baseline.
3. Finish off by extending the line along your client’s upper lash line.
How To Create Perfect Winged Eyeliner With Spoon?
Head to your kitchen and pick up a spoon to give you the perfect winged eyeliner as desired. The straight edge of the handle and the curve of the spoon is a perfect tool to guide for neat and precise wings.
Step By Step Tutorial
1. Hold the handle of the spoon at the outer corner of your client’s eye.
2. Draw a straight line with your eyeliner following the line of the handle.
3. Now, place the rounded portion of the spoon and cup your client’s eyelids.
4. Use the rounded edge to create the curvy tip of your wing.
5. Fill in the space between two lines with eyeliner and extend the liner onto your clients upper lash line like you normally do.
How To create a perfect Winged Eyeliner With Stencil?
Your solution to expertly draw winged eyeliners is probably sitting in your purse. Just fish out your business card or a plastic card or sheet sturdy enough for multiple use, and make your personal winged eyeliner stencil; your very own signature style.
Step By Step Tutorial
• Take a business card or a plastic sheet and draw a line roughly to match the size of your client’s eyes and the way you want your client’s wings to be.
• Take a scissor and cut out the pattern you have drawn.
• Use the cut out as a stencil for your client’s wings, and gift the stencil to her autographed by You and custom created for her.
Another way to use a card without cutting is:
1. Hold the straight edge of the card at the outer corner of your client’s eye making a slight oblique with her temples.
2. Trace along the straight edge with eyeliner to create the wings.
3. Extend the eyeliner to the inner corners of your client’s eyes along the upper lash line.
P.S. You can also use a pen or a pencil or basically any straight object and follow the same method to achieve a straight wing. However, in these cases, the wing is likely to be sharper and less curvy.
Tips And Precautions To Be Followed While Applying Winged Eyeliner
1. Be careful with the choice of your eyeliner type. Eyeliners mainly come in three avatars—liquid, gel and pencil. While liquid and gel liners give a bolder and striking finish, it can be a little messy to work with, especially for beginners. On the other hand, pencils give a softer and subtler finish, it gives you a great control and is thus recommended for beginners. Although, if you are a Pro artist, the gels would work best for you.
2. Winged eyeliner and cat-eyes looks super hot on almost everyone and can be worn for any occasion or even on a daily basis. You can, however, play with the length and sharpness of the wings depending on the level of drama your clients are going for. Also, find out the placement and shape of the wings that complement the shape of your client’s eye, and adjust it accordingly.
3. If you are a beginner, it’s but natural to mess up eyeliners even with all the guidance. Don’t worry if you make a mistake. Dip a cotton swab in petroleum jelly and gently erase the smudge with it. You can also use a clear lip-gloss for a quick fix. For more precision, the make-up corrector pen is a great tool.
4. To have an even better control over liquid eyeliners, toss it in a refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. This will harden the applicator to make it easier to control.
So now with all these tips and tricks in your kitty, all that is left to be done is taking your eyeliner and trying out this ultra glam look. Don’t fret if you do not get it in the first go. It takes a little practice and a bit of patience to master the art of eyeliner like a pro. You will definitely get there, till then, use these hacks and keep slaying.
Tell us if you have any hacks or tips for perfect winged eyeliners and do let us know if you found this article helpful. DT